Persuasion And Negotiation Techniques For Acing Interviews And Lowering Your Rent
Haggling your way through sun-drenched markets in Mexico during spring break usually leaves you with a huge takeaway. On the one hand, you’ve accumulated heaps of trinkets, hats and towels for basically pennies (hello exchange rate), but on the other, you’ve had the opportunity to dust off the ‘ole haggling skills (because we all know it takes some persuasion to get sellers down to those pennies).
What you may not realize, however, is that he who haggles in Mexico (or any other foreign country or flea market for that matter) doesn’t have to stay in Mexico. In fact, the negotiation skills you put to use in these situations may lower your rent, help you ace a job interview and help your email to a top business professional stand out among the droves of others.
Lower Your Rent
Negotiating rent is something everyone should look into if they’re renting from a private (or at least accessible) landlord. For example, if you’re looking to live off-campus, it might be beneficial to look into an apartment or condo being rented by a single, private owner, or from someone subleasing, because they will be more likely to negotiate prices in order to get their place rented more quickly. On a personal note, I subleased an apartment last year for 100 dollars less than I had been asking for, simply due to the fact that I was in such a hurry to have someone paying at least the majority of the rent. You can use this, and the techniques below, to your advantage.
Know The Market
No, you don’t have to know the economic ins and outs of the housing market, but you should gain an idea as to the rental prices around your campus or where you’re preparing to rent. What The Neighbors Pay, a section of the Apartment Ratings website, is a great tool that allows you to search rent and price demographics for certain cities, neighborhoods and complexes. Knowing the average prices for the area you’re looking into renting allows you to have an idea of how low you can feasibly negotiate, and also helps you avoid paying higher than the average.
Also be sure to look into your landlord’s market; knowing how long an apartment has been empty or how many empty apartments they have in the area can help you gauge how receptive they will ultimately be to your negotiation.
Time It Right
According to an article in Forbes, landlords are more willing to negotiate near the end of the month because it usually means the apartment has been empty for longer. As with my experience, renters are more likely to accept a lower price rather than risk the apartment not being filled.
Forbes also recommends to, if you have a lease, “start your negations early so that you give yourself enough time to find another apartment (or convince your landlord you could).”
“If you start too early, however, your landlord may simply find a new tenant to replace you,” the article stated.
Now that you know the market and it’s the end of the month, you can begin your negotiation. Roger Dawson, author of Secrets of Power Negotiating, said in an article for Forbes that “negotiators don’t deal in reality, they deal with perceptions.”
He goes on to explain that being comfortable going into a situation without a concrete outcome is essential, and to also be mentally prepared and confident in your pitch.
To begin, always ask for a lower price than you think you’ll receive. This sets the table for compromise, which is really what the haggle is all about. Also be sure to explain your reasoning in a non-aggressive manner and avoid hesitant language, such as “umm” and “I mean,” seeing as they make you appear unsure in your argument. If your landlord turns out to be uncompromising on the rent, Forbes also recommends negotiating parts of the rent, such as “asking for free parking or a fresh coat of paint.”
Ace An Interview
Interviews involve mostly persuasion rather than negotiation techniques, as you’re essentially asking the potential employer to buy what you’re selling (you), which is why many sales techniques are useful for interviews.
Research and Empathize
Just as you need to know your market to negotiate rent, you need to know the company you’re applying to in order to persuade the interviewer to hire you. This involves not only researching the basics of the company, but also the position you’re applying for. Knowing the company and its current state and current events allows you to ultimately empathize with the interviewer.
The best way to do this, according to an article via the Global Post, is to connect the job to your qualities, making statements such as, “Your job description emphasized detail orientation, which is a quality my managers have always recognized in me.”
There are many ways to connect with an interviewer–with empathy, as listed above, but also with different nonverbal and verbal cues. You still want to avoid the hesitant language I mentioned earlier, since in an interview it would signal uncertainty regarding your qualifications. You can also build rapport by mirroring the posture and movements of the interviewer (not overly so, but subtly) and by maintaining friendly eye contact.
It’s also useful to connect through complimenting, but rather than using generalized complements (“I just love your company!), try to complement a procedure within the company that you enjoy.
For example, a common question in interviews asks what you didn’t like about your last job. A useful way to turn this into a positive statement and give a complement is to say something like “I didn’t enjoy the overly pushy, out-of-date marketing techniques my previous company used, but prefer marketing techniques that develop a connection between the products and the customers through relatable copy, such as with the campaign your company used for ‘so-and-so product’ last month.”
As you can see, the dislike of pushy marketing campaigns turned into a positive view of connecting through marketing and a complement on how the interviewer’s company utilizes their marketing. Strong, specialized statements such as these create a powerful persuasive pull, as they’re in-depth and leave little question in the interviewer’s mind that you know the job you’re applying for.
Stand Out Through Email
This is especially important advice to think about when sending emails or crafting any piece of written communication. Having an engaging subject line or opening line is an indirect way of persuading the reader to keep reading; if the first sentence commands drool and eye blur, you can bet the person you’re trying to reach hit delete and took a nap instead of reading your proposal. This isn’t to say you have to have an off the wall or weird subject line of an email; after all, you don’t want it to be disregarded as spam, but you should pepper the first sentence of your email with an uncommon word or two.
A study titled “The Bizarreness Effect: It’s not surprising, it’s complex,” found that “people were best able to recall messages when bizarre nouns were mixed with common words in a standard sentence,” as Weibe summarized on her website.
The key is to make the subject clear with an uncommon word mixed in, or if you don’t feel comfortable being a little bold with a subject line, save it for the first sentence of your email. Again, no need to go crazy, but do get a little creative. What would make you open one email over another out of the 20 emails asking the same thing or applying for the same position?
Vacations really do have the power to help you hone certain business skills, or at least bring them to light. In fact, gambling in Vegas can make you a master risk evaluator, financial strategist … okay, now I’m going too far (maybe). Regardless, persuasion and negotiation are, indeed, skills that can save you shopping money or aid you in making more money, even if you’ve never used them abroad.
And to that I say, “happy haggling!”
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
Discuss This Article
More Uloop Business Articles
AAU TUTORING JOBS LISTINGSSee all AAU Tutoring Jobs Listings
AAU Tutoring Job Listings
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
TOP AAU NEWS
- Types of Shows/Events You Should Go to as a College Student
- Tallahassee has its own "Dakota Access pipeline"
- What Are You Reading?
- Drink Coffee Like A Tallahassee Local: 8 Coffee Shops You Can’t Miss
- How to Get Back Into the Swing of College After a 5-Week Break
- Get Exclusive Deals With Amazon Prime Student
- Apply Now for 2017 Phi Kappa Phi Award Programs
MOST POPULAR AAU NEWS
BROWSE OTHER COLLEGES
- By CollegeUC Santa BarbaraCal PolyUC DavisUC IrvineUC San DiegoUC Santa CruzStanford UniversityUCLACal Poly PomonaCSU ChicoCSU FullertonCSU Long BeachCSU NorthridgeCSU SacramentoUC BerkeleyPepperdine UniversitySan Diego StateSan Francisco State UniversitySan Jose State UniversityUSCCalifornia State University-San BernardinoCalifornia State University-FresnoCalifornia State University-Los AngelesUC RiversideCalifornia Institute of TechnologyCalifornia State University-Dominguez HillsCalifornia State University-East BayOccidental CollegeLoyola Marymount UniversityCabrillo CollegeAlliant International UniversityAzusa Pacific UniversityAntelope Valley CollegeBakersfield CollegeBiola UniversityBrooks Institute of PhotographyCalifornia Baptist UniversityClaremont McKenna CollegeCalifornia Pacific UniversityCalifornia State University Monterey BayCuesta CollegeConcordia University IrvineCalifornia State University Channel IslandsDiablo Valley CollegeBethany UniversitySanta Barbara City CollegeFive Branches UniversityWest Valley CollegeWestmont CollegeUC MercedUC Hastings College of the LawPalomar CollegeSaint Mary's CollegeSonoma State UniversitySierra CollegeChapman UniversitySaddleback CollegePacific Union CollegePierce CollegePasadena City CollegeFeather River CollegeCalifornia Culinary AcademyMira Costa CollegeLos Rios Community College DistrictLas Positas CollegeGrossmont CollegeIrvine Valley CollegeMenlo CollegeAllan Hancock CollegeHumboldt State UniversityUniversity of San DiegoUniversity of San FranciscoLoma Linda UniversityFullerton CollegeSanta Clara UniversityChabot CollegeFoothill CollegeNational UniversityButte CollegeAcademy of Art UniversityWhittier CollegeLincoln UniversityMerced CollegeCalifornia State University-BakersfieldSanta Monica CollegeMt. San Jacinto CollegeCoast Community College DistrictRiverside Community CollegeUniversity of the PacificPomona CollegeLa Sierra UniversityScripps Research InstituteDe Anza CollegeGrossmount-Cuyamaca Community CollegeAmerican Intercontinental UniversityArt Center College of DesignCalifornia College of the ArtsCalifornia Institute of Integral StudiesCalifornia Institute of the ArtsCalifornia Lutheran UniversityCSU San MarcosCalifornia State University-StanislausClaremont Graduate UniversityClaremont McKenna CollegeDominican University of CaliforniaEx-Pression College for Digital ArtsFielding Graduate UniversityFresno Pacific UniversityFuller Theological SeminaryGolden Gate UniversityHoly Names UniversityJohn F Kennedy UniversityMills CollegeMount St Mary's CollegeMusicians InstituteNaval Postgraduate SchoolNotre Dame de Namur UniversityOtis College of Art and DesignPacific Oaks CollegePoint Loma Nazarene UniversitySamuel Merritt CollegeSimpson UniversityThe Art Institute of California-Los AngelesThe Art Institute of California-Orange CountyThe Art Institute of California-San DiegoThe Art Institute of California-San FranciscoThe Fashion Institute of Design & MerchandisingThe Master's College and SeminaryUC San FranciscoUniversity of La VerneUniversity of RedlandsVanguard University of Southern CaliforniaPeralta CollegeWestern University of Health SciencesWoodbury UniversityCity College of San FranciscoCalifornia Institute of the Healing Arts and SciencesCypress CollegeEast Los Angeles CollegeLos Angeles City CollegeCollege of MarinOhlone CollegePitzer CollegeSouthern California Institute of ArchitectureScripps CollegeWorld Mission UniversityThe Wright InstituteCerro Coso Community CollegeCollege of the DesertSan Diego City CollegeArgosy UniversityImperial Valley CollegeModesto Junior CollegeShasta CollegeCollege of San MateoCollege of SiskiyousLassen Community CollegeVentura CollegeNewSchool of Architecture + DesignAmerican River College Barstow Community College DistrictBerkeley City College Citrus CollegeCoastline Community College College of Alameda College of the Siskiyous Contra Costa College Contra Costa Community College DistrictCosumnes River College Cuyamaca College El Camino College-Compton Community Ed CenterEvergreen Valley College Fresno City College Glendale Community College (CA)Laney College Long Beach City College Los Angeles Harbor College Los Angeles Mission College Los Angeles Southwest College Los Angeles Trade-Technical CollegeMoorpark College Mt San Antonio College North Orange County Community College DistrictOrange Coast College Palo Verde College Porterville College Reedley College Rio Hondo College Sacramento City College San Diego Community College DistrictSan Diego Mesa College San Diego Miramar College San Joaquin Delta College San Jose City College San Jose-Evergreen Community College DistrictSkyline College Solano Community College South Orange County Community College DistrictState Center Community College DistrictTaft College Ventura County Community College DistrictVictor Valley CollegeWest Hills Community College- CoalingaWest Hills Community College DistrictWest Hills Community College-LemooreWest Los Angeles College Woodland Community College Yosemite Community College DistrictYuba CollegeFashion Institute of Design & Merchandising-San DiegoFashion Institute of Design & Merchandising-San FranciscoAcademy for Jewish Religion-CaliforniaAcademy for Salon ProfessionalsAcademy of Esthetics and CosmetologyAdvance Beauty CollegeAdvance Beauty Techs AcademyAdvanced Career InstituteAdvanced CollegeAdvanced Computing InstituteAlhambra Beauty CollegeAlliant International University-FresnoAlliant International University-IrvineAlliant International University-Los AngelesAlliant International University-SacramentoAlliant International University-San DiegoAlliant International University-San FranciscoAllied American UniversityAmerican Baptist Seminary of the WestAmerican Beauty CollegeAmerican Career College at St FrancisAmerican Career College-AnaheimAmerican Career College-Long BeachAmerican Career College-Los AngelesAmerican Career College-OntarioAmerican College of HealthcareAmerican College of Traditional Chinese MedicineAmerican Conservatory TheaterAmerican Institute of Massage TherapyAmerican Jewish UniversityAmerican Medical Sciences CenterAngeles InstituteAnnenberg School of NursingAntioch University-Los AngelesArgosy University-San DiegoAshdown College of Health SciencesAsher CollegeAsian American International Beauty CollegeAssociated Technical College-Los AngelesATEP at IVCATI College-NorwalkAvance Beauty CollegeAveda Institute-Los AngelesBaldwin Park Adult & Community EducationBay Area Medical AcademyBay Area Medical Academy - San Jose Satellite LocationBeaumont Adult SchoolBellus Academy-El CajonBellus Academy-National CityBellus Academy-PowayBethel Seminary-San DiegoBethesda UniversityBeyond 21st Century Beauty AcademyBlake Austin CollegeBlake Austin College Beauty AcademyBrand CollegeCalifornia Beauty SchoolCalifornia Career CollegeCalifornia Career InstituteCalifornia Christian CollegeCalifornia College San DiegoCalifornia Hair Design AcademyCalifornia Healing Arts CollegeCalifornia Miramar UniversityCalifornia Nurses Educational InstituteCalifornia Western School of LawCambridge Junior College-WoodlandCambridge Junior College-Yuba CityCanada CollegeCareer Academy of BeautyCareer Care InstituteCareer College of CaliforniaCareer Development Institute IncCareer Networks InstituteCarrington College-Citrus HeightsCarrington College-PomonaCarrington College-SacramentoCarrington College-San JoseCarrington College-San LeandroCasa Loma College-Anaheim CampusCasa Loma College-Van NuysCentral California SchoolCentral Coast CollegeCerritos CollegeCES CollegeCET-CoachellaCET-El CentroCET-OxnardCET-SacramentoCET-San BernardinoCET-San DiegoCET-Santa MariaCET-SobratoCET-SoledadCET-WatsonvilleCharles A Jones Career and Education CenterCharles R Drew University of Medicine and ScienceCharter College-Canyon CountryChurch Divinity School of the PacificCinta Aveda InstituteClaremont School of TheologyClovis Adult EducationCoachella Valley Beauty CollegeCoachella Valley Beauty College-BeaumontCoast Career InstituteCoastline Beauty CollegeCogswell CollegeColeman UniversityCollege of the CanyonsCollege of the RedwoodsCollege of the SequoiasColton-Redlands-Yucaipa Regional Occupational ProgramColumbia College-HollywoodComputer Training AcademyComputer Tutor Business and Technical InstituteConcorde Career College-Garden GroveConcorde Career College-North HollywoodConcorde Career College-San BernardinoConcorde Career College-San DiegoCopper Mountain Community CollegeCosmo Beauty AcademyCosmo Factory Cosmetology AcademyCrafton Hills CollegeCRU InstituteDesign Institute of San DiegoDiamond Beauty CollegeDominican School of Philosophy & TheologyDongguk University-Los AngelesDowney Adult SchoolElite Cosmetology SchoolEverest College-AlhambraEverest College-AnaheimEverest College-City of IndustryEverest College-GardenaEverest College-ResedaEverest College-West Los AngelesFashion Institute of Design & Merchandising-Orange CountyFederico Beauty InstituteFlair Beauty CollegeFolsom Lake CollegeFour-D CollegeFranciscan School of TheologyFredrick and Charles Beauty CollegeFremont CollegeGalaxy Medical CollegeGavilan CollegeGemological Institute of America-CarlsbadGolden Gate University-Los AngelesGolden Gate University-Silicon ValleyGolden State College of Court ReportingGrace Mission UniversityGraduate Theological UnionGurnick Academy of Medical ArtsHacienda La Puente Adult EducationHair California Beauty AcademyHeald College-ConcordHeald College-ModestoHeald College-RosevilleHeald College-SalinasHeald College-San JoseHeald College-StocktonHigh Desert Medical CollegeHilltop Beauty SchoolHinton Barber CollegeHomestead SchoolsHorizon UniversityHumphreys College-ModestoHumphreys College-Stockton and Modesto CampusesHypnosis Motivation InstituteInfoTech Career CollegeInstitute for Business and TechnologyInstitute of Technology IncIntegrity College of HealthInterCoast Colleges-BurbankInterCoast Colleges-CarsonInterCoast Colleges-Elk GroveInterCoast Colleges-FairfieldInterCoast Colleges-OrangeInterCoast Colleges-RosevilleInterior Designers InstituteInternational College of CosmetologyInternational Culinary Center-CaliforniaInternational Polytechnic InstituteInternational School of Beauty IncInternational Technological UniversityITT Technical Institute-ConcordITT Technical Institute-CoronaITT Technical Institute-Culver CityITT Technical Institute-LathropITT Technical Institute-OaklandITT Technical Institute-OxnardITT Technical Institute-Rancho CordovaITT Technical Institute-San DimasITT Technical Institute-SylmarITT Technical Institute-TorranceJohn Wesley International Barber and Beauty CollegeKaplan College-BakersfieldKaplan College-ModestoKaplan College-North HollywoodKaplan College-Palm SpringsKaplan College-RiversideKaplan College-SacramentoKaplan College-VistaLaguna College of Art and DesignLawrence & Company College of CosmetologyLe Cordon Bleu College of Culinary Arts-PasadenaLeMelange Academy of HairLife Chiropractic College WestLife Pacific CollegeLos Angeles CenterLos Angeles College of MusicLos Angeles County College of Nursing and Allied HealthLos Angeles ORT College-Los Angeles CampusLos Angeles ORT College-Van Nuys CampusLu Ross AcademyLyles Bakersfield College of BeautyLyles Fresno College of BeautyMadera Beauty CollegeMake-up DesignoryManchester Beauty CollegeMarinello School of Beauty-BakersfieldMarinello School of Beauty-Castro ValleyMarinello School of Beauty-ChicoMarinello School of Beauty-FresnoMarinello School of Beauty-HaywardMarinello School of Beauty-MurrietaMarinello School of Beauty-NapaMarinello School of Beauty-PalmdaleMarinello School of Beauty-ReddingMarinello School of Beauty-ResedaMarinello School of Beauty-San BernardinoMarinello School of Beauty-San MateoMarinello School of Beauty-San RafaelMarinello School of Beauty-StocktonMarinello School of Beauty-WhittierMarinello Schools of Beauty-BellMarinello Schools of Beauty-City of IndustryMarinello Schools of Beauty-HemetMarinello Schools of Beauty-Huntington BeachMarinello Schools of Beauty-Lake ForestMarinello Schools of Beauty-LomitaMarinello Schools of Beauty-Los AngelesMarinello Schools of Beauty-Moreno ValleyMarinello Schools of Beauty-ParamountMarinello Schools of Beauty-Santa ClaraMarinello Schools of Beauty-Simi ValleyMarinello Schools of Beauty-VictorvilleMarinello Schools of Beauty-VisaliaMarshall B Ketchum UniversityMarymount California UniversityMarymount University - Waterfront CampusMayfield CollegeMediaTech Institute-OceansideMedical Allied Career CenterMendocino CollegeMerritt CollegeMiami Ad School-San FranciscoMilan Institute of Cosmetology-FairfieldMilan Institute of Cosmetology-VisaliaMilan Institute-MercedMilan Institute-Palm DesertMission CollegeModern Technology SchoolMoler Barber CollegeMonterey Institute of International StudiesMonterey Peninsula College
- By State
- By City