Which Memory Can I Erase For You Today?
In 2004, Joel Barish decided to have the memory of his ex-girlfriend, Clementine Kruczynski, erased. He was confused, devastated and enraged when he’d gone in for the procedure, having discovered days before that Clementine had already erased him. He’d felt removing her in return wasn’t the ideal form of revenge, but it was all he had. However, after Joel underwent the procedure and his memories started to disappear, he began to re-experience the positive memories of Clementine that were buried deeper, and realized in shock that he didn’t want to let them go. Joel was running in his mind, but the procedure was done. He’d run out of memories.
Joel Barish and Clementine Kruczynski were characters in a plot of the 2004 film Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, played by Jim Carey and Kate Winslet. Their characters may have been science fiction, but the plot element of the film, the removal of targeted memories, is now science fact.
In a study published in the journal Cell, researchers at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT) announced in January of this year that they had successfully erased a targeted memory in mice. This study follows the institute’s successful implantation of a false memory and the activation of a real memory, also in mice, and highlights their quest to discover cures for traumatic memories and disorders such as Post-Traumatic-Stress-Disorder (PTSD) in humans. This sounds great, right? Why wouldn’t we want our scientists to help individuals struggling with harmful memories?
Although the studies are only now taking place on mice, they bring many ethical questions of memory to the forefront, and also question patient accessibility to this type of treatment in the future, since it involves the use of a future prescription drug to remove the unwanted memories.
In an article from the Boston Globe, “scientists reported that a single dose of an experimental drug combined with behavioral therapy could help mice forget a traumatic event that took place in the distant past.”
The drug, referred to as a class of HDAC inhibitors, was given to a group of mice being put through re-exposure therapy, a therapy common in the treatment of PTSD that involves exposing the patient to their fear trigger in a safe setting. For the mice, this involved being placed in a box or exposed to a sound in conjunction with a foot shock, causing them to fear the box or sound. Then, they were exposed to the box or sound without the shock, erasing the memory while it was still recent. This treatment didn’t work as well for distance memories, however, until the researchers combined it with the experimental drug. They found that the drug combined with the therapy caused the mice to become “markedly better at forgetting that the tone or box signaled pain.”
They also found, as stated in the Boston Globe article, that the drug caused changes at the cellular level of the brain, inducing “changes in the metabolism and connectivity of brain cells.”
Li-Huei Tsai, director of the Picower Institute for Learning and Memory at MIT and one of the leading researchers in the study, is mentioned in the article as having “hopes that the work on using HDAC inhibitors to erase memories … will spur pharmaceutical companies to try developing drugs that use the same approach.”
These “hopes” are what bring ethics into question regarding these types of studies and treatments. Most individuals worldwide, scientists or not, fully realize the power of modern medicine and its value in society. The amount of lifesaving treatments available to the general population is outstanding and does, indeed, deserve tremendous respect. However, when studies successfully plant false memories and erase painful experiences, and then subsequently have hopes of handing this power over to pharmaceutical companies for prescription use, we should pause and ask ourselves if our society is prepared for it.
“Prescription drug abuse,” the Center for Disease Control said, “is the fastest growing drug problem in the United States.”
To bring this into perspective, one in five Americans, approximately 50 million adults, take prescription psychiatric, mind-altering drugs. That figure is just within the legal sector: another 22 million are on illegal drugs of the same form, plus that of cocaine, heroin and marijuana. Round up the amount of alcoholics and individuals with alcohol problems – 18 million – and you have roughly 100 million individuals living in an altered state.
According to the same report from the CDC, most of the drug overdoses in this country have been caused by the use of a group of prescription drugs called opioid analgesics, like those of Vicodin, Oxytocin and Oxycodone (to name a few). These drugs, according to WedMd, “… suppress your perception of pain and calm your emotional response to pain.”
Here we have millions of Americans legally and illegally dulling their pain through the use of these medications, and a good percentage of the remaining indulging in alcohol to do the same. Viewing these statistics, who’s to say that sometime in the future, memory-wiping drugs become available in prescription form, and the population (in terrible shape due to their “painful memories”) start erasing them completely?
This is not to discount the traumatic effects of PTSD and similar disorders or suggest that our researchers stop pursuing cures for mental health disorders. It is also not about grand conspiracy theories involving our scientists and the government wiping our minds, but we do have to realize that past science fiction has become science fact, and parts of conspiracy-like works have become reality (1984, George Orwell and the NSA Spying parallels).
This is to take a long, hard look at our future and ask ourselves if memory-wiping is what the future needs to hold. This is to ask what it means to live a rounded life, and what it means to make and learn from our mistakes. Traumatic memories can be painful, even extremely so, but they are also what shape us as individuals. They involve failure, rejection and tears, but they also build strength, resilience and understanding. Should we erase our mistakes and our pains, only to make the same mistakes again because we haven’t learned from them? Should we erase a few more memories of being bullied in childhood because they are nearly as traumatic as PTSD?
Virginia Hughes, writer for Popular Science, wrote in an article, “The idea of scientists manipulating memory does, naturally, sound a bit creepy … but it also points to some possible good: treatment for millions of people tormented by real memories.”
“And that’s something worth remembering,” she wrote.
Memories are a fact of life and an essential component; they are tied to us not only in our minds, but in our bodies; our feelings, instincts and impulses are a memories’ entire package. Without a memory to go along with our guts, will we wander through parts of our lives confused, unable to understand why we feel the way we do because we truly can’t remember … because we willingly erased it from our minds?
Like the fictional Joel Barish realized too late, spotless minds may be something worth running from.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
Discuss This Article
More Uloop Technology Articles
Recent AAU News Articles
RECENT AAU CLASSIFIEDS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
TOP AAU NEWS
- Cheap Thrill's Discusses Fox's Cease and Desist
- Under $30 a Week: Vegetarian Grocery List Plus Recipes Pt. 1
- What You Learn as a Cat Mom
- National Parks: A Celebration of Beauty Pt. 1
- Conflict in Charlotte: Discrediting a Few Fishy “Eyewitness” Cla...
- We Need More Than Awareness
- FSU Trailblazer: Mia Hartley
MOST POPULAR AAU NEWS
BROWSE OTHER COLLEGES
- By CollegeAcademy for Jewish Religion-CaliforniaAcademy for Salon ProfessionalsAcademy of Art UniversityAcademy of Esthetics and CosmetologyAdvance Beauty CollegeAdvance Beauty Techs AcademyAdvanced Career InstituteAdvanced CollegeAdvanced Computing InstituteAlhambra Beauty CollegeAllan Hancock CollegeAlliant International UniversityAlliant International University-FresnoAlliant International University-IrvineAlliant International University-Los AngelesAlliant International University-SacramentoAlliant International University-San DiegoAlliant International University-San FranciscoAllied American UniversityAmerican Baptist Seminary of the WestAmerican Beauty CollegeAmerican Career College at St FrancisAmerican Career College-AnaheimAmerican Career College-Long BeachAmerican Career College-Los AngelesAmerican Career College-OntarioAmerican College of HealthcareAmerican College of Traditional Chinese MedicineAmerican Conservatory TheaterAmerican Institute of Massage TherapyAmerican Intercontinental UniversityAmerican Jewish UniversityAmerican Medical Sciences CenterAmerican River College Angeles InstituteAnnenberg School of NursingAntelope Valley CollegeAntioch University-Los AngelesArgosy UniversityArgosy University-San DiegoArt Center College of DesignAshdown College of Health SciencesAsher CollegeAsian American International Beauty CollegeAssociated Technical College-Los AngelesATEP at IVCATI College-NorwalkAvance Beauty CollegeAveda Institute-Los AngelesAzusa Pacific UniversityBakersfield CollegeBaldwin Park Adult & Community EducationBarstow Community College DistrictBay Area Medical AcademyBay Area Medical Academy - San Jose Satellite LocationBeaumont Adult SchoolBellus Academy-El CajonBellus Academy-National CityBellus Academy-PowayBerkeley City College Bethany UniversityBethel Seminary-San DiegoBethesda UniversityBeyond 21st Century Beauty AcademyBiola UniversityBlake Austin CollegeBlake Austin College Beauty AcademyBrand CollegeBrooks Institute of PhotographyButte CollegeCabrillo CollegeCal PolyCal Poly PomonaCalifornia Baptist UniversityCalifornia Beauty SchoolCalifornia Career CollegeCalifornia Career InstituteCalifornia Christian CollegeCalifornia College of the ArtsCalifornia College San DiegoCalifornia Culinary AcademyCalifornia Hair Design AcademyCalifornia Healing Arts CollegeCalifornia Institute of Integral StudiesCalifornia Institute of TechnologyCalifornia Institute of the ArtsCalifornia Institute of the Healing Arts and SciencesCalifornia Lutheran UniversityCalifornia Miramar UniversityCalifornia Nurses Educational InstituteCalifornia Pacific UniversityCalifornia State University Channel IslandsCalifornia State University Monterey BayCalifornia State University-BakersfieldCalifornia State University-Dominguez HillsCalifornia State University-East BayCalifornia State University-FresnoCalifornia State University-Los AngelesCalifornia State University-San BernardinoCalifornia State University-StanislausCalifornia Western School of LawCambridge Junior College-WoodlandCambridge Junior College-Yuba CityCanada CollegeCareer Academy of BeautyCareer Care InstituteCareer College of CaliforniaCareer Development Institute IncCareer Networks InstituteCarrington College-Citrus HeightsCarrington College-PomonaCarrington College-SacramentoCarrington College-San JoseCarrington College-San LeandroCasa Loma College-Anaheim CampusCasa Loma College-Van NuysCentral California SchoolCentral Coast CollegeCerritos CollegeCerro Coso Community CollegeCES CollegeCET-CoachellaCET-El CentroCET-OxnardCET-SacramentoCET-San BernardinoCET-San DiegoCET-Santa MariaCET-SobratoCET-SoledadCET-WatsonvilleChabot CollegeChapman UniversityCharles A Jones Career and Education CenterCharles R Drew University of Medicine and ScienceCharter College-Canyon CountryChurch Divinity School of the PacificCinta Aveda InstituteCitrus CollegeCity College of San FranciscoClaremont Graduate UniversityClaremont McKenna CollegeClaremont McKenna CollegeClaremont School of TheologyClovis Adult EducationCoachella Valley Beauty CollegeCoachella Valley Beauty College-BeaumontCoast Career InstituteCoast Community College DistrictCoastline Beauty CollegeCoastline Community College Cogswell CollegeColeman UniversityCollege of Alameda College of MarinCollege of San MateoCollege of SiskiyousCollege of the CanyonsCollege of the DesertCollege of the RedwoodsCollege of the SequoiasCollege of the Siskiyous Colton-Redlands-Yucaipa Regional Occupational ProgramColumbia College-HollywoodComputer Training AcademyComputer Tutor Business and Technical InstituteConcorde Career College-Garden GroveConcorde Career College-North HollywoodConcorde Career College-San BernardinoConcorde Career College-San DiegoConcordia University IrvineContra Costa College Contra Costa Community College DistrictCopper Mountain Community CollegeCosmo Beauty AcademyCosmo Factory Cosmetology AcademyCosumnes River College Crafton Hills CollegeCRU InstituteCSU ChicoCSU FullertonCSU Long BeachCSU NorthridgeCSU SacramentoCSU San MarcosCuesta CollegeCuyamaca College Cypress CollegeDe Anza CollegeDesign Institute of San DiegoDiablo Valley CollegeDiamond Beauty CollegeDominican School of Philosophy & TheologyDominican University of CaliforniaDongguk University-Los AngelesDowney Adult SchoolEast Los Angeles CollegeEl Camino College-Compton Community Ed CenterElite Cosmetology SchoolEverest College-AlhambraEverest College-AnaheimEverest College-City of IndustryEverest College-GardenaEverest College-ResedaEverest College-West Los AngelesEvergreen Valley College Ex-Pression College for Digital ArtsFashion Institute of Design & Merchandising-Orange CountyFashion Institute of Design & Merchandising-San DiegoFashion Institute of Design & Merchandising-San FranciscoFeather River CollegeFederico Beauty InstituteFielding Graduate UniversityFive Branches UniversityFlair Beauty CollegeFolsom Lake CollegeFoothill CollegeFour-D CollegeFranciscan School of TheologyFredrick and Charles Beauty CollegeFremont CollegeFresno City College Fresno Pacific UniversityFuller Theological SeminaryFullerton CollegeGalaxy Medical CollegeGavilan CollegeGemological Institute of America-CarlsbadGlendale Community College (CA)Golden Gate UniversityGolden Gate University-Los AngelesGolden Gate University-Silicon ValleyGolden State College of Court ReportingGrace Mission UniversityGraduate Theological UnionGrossmont CollegeGrossmount-Cuyamaca Community CollegeGurnick Academy of Medical ArtsHacienda La Puente Adult EducationHair California Beauty AcademyHeald College-ConcordHeald College-ModestoHeald College-RosevilleHeald College-SalinasHeald College-San JoseHeald College-StocktonHigh Desert Medical CollegeHilltop Beauty SchoolHinton Barber CollegeHoly Names UniversityHomestead SchoolsHorizon UniversityHumboldt State UniversityHumphreys College-ModestoHumphreys College-Stockton and Modesto CampusesHypnosis Motivation InstituteImperial Valley CollegeInfoTech Career CollegeInstitute for Business and TechnologyInstitute of Technology IncIntegrity College of HealthInterCoast Colleges-BurbankInterCoast Colleges-CarsonInterCoast Colleges-Elk GroveInterCoast Colleges-FairfieldInterCoast Colleges-OrangeInterCoast Colleges-RosevilleInterior Designers InstituteInternational College of CosmetologyInternational Culinary Center-CaliforniaInternational Polytechnic InstituteInternational School of Beauty IncInternational Technological UniversityIrvine Valley CollegeITT Technical Institute-ConcordITT Technical Institute-CoronaITT Technical Institute-Culver CityITT Technical Institute-LathropITT Technical Institute-OaklandITT Technical Institute-OxnardITT Technical Institute-Rancho CordovaITT Technical Institute-San DimasITT Technical Institute-SylmarITT Technical Institute-TorranceJohn F Kennedy UniversityJohn Wesley International Barber and Beauty CollegeKaplan College-BakersfieldKaplan College-ModestoKaplan College-North HollywoodKaplan College-Palm SpringsKaplan College-RiversideKaplan College-SacramentoKaplan College-VistaLa Sierra UniversityLaguna College of Art and DesignLaney College Las Positas CollegeLassen Community CollegeLawrence & Company College of CosmetologyLe Cordon Bleu College of Culinary Arts-PasadenaLeMelange Academy of HairLife Chiropractic College WestLife Pacific CollegeLincoln UniversityLoma Linda UniversityLong Beach City College Los Angeles CenterLos Angeles City CollegeLos Angeles College of MusicLos Angeles County College of Nursing and Allied HealthLos Angeles Harbor College Los Angeles Mission College Los Angeles ORT College-Los Angeles CampusLos Angeles ORT College-Van Nuys CampusLos Angeles Southwest College Los Angeles Trade-Technical CollegeLos Rios Community College DistrictLoyola Marymount UniversityLu Ross AcademyLyles Bakersfield College of BeautyLyles Fresno College of BeautyMadera Beauty CollegeMake-up DesignoryManchester Beauty CollegeMarinello School of Beauty-BakersfieldMarinello School of Beauty-Castro ValleyMarinello School of Beauty-ChicoMarinello School of Beauty-FresnoMarinello School of Beauty-HaywardMarinello School of Beauty-MurrietaMarinello School of Beauty-NapaMarinello School of Beauty-PalmdaleMarinello School of Beauty-ReddingMarinello School of Beauty-ResedaMarinello School of Beauty-San BernardinoMarinello School of Beauty-San MateoMarinello School of Beauty-San RafaelMarinello School of Beauty-StocktonMarinello School of Beauty-WhittierMarinello Schools of Beauty-BellMarinello Schools of Beauty-City of IndustryMarinello Schools of Beauty-HemetMarinello Schools of Beauty-Huntington BeachMarinello Schools of Beauty-Lake ForestMarinello Schools of Beauty-LomitaMarinello Schools of Beauty-Los AngelesMarinello Schools of Beauty-Moreno ValleyMarinello Schools of Beauty-ParamountMarinello Schools of Beauty-Santa ClaraMarinello Schools of Beauty-Simi ValleyMarinello Schools of Beauty-VictorvilleMarinello Schools of Beauty-VisaliaMarshall B Ketchum UniversityMarymount California UniversityMarymount University - Waterfront CampusMayfield CollegeMediaTech Institute-OceansideMedical Allied Career CenterMendocino CollegeMenlo CollegeMerced CollegeMerritt CollegeMiami Ad School-San FranciscoMilan Institute of Cosmetology-FairfieldMilan Institute of Cosmetology-VisaliaMilan Institute-MercedMilan Institute-Palm DesertMills CollegeMira Costa CollegeMission CollegeModern Technology SchoolModesto Junior CollegeMoler Barber CollegeMonterey Institute of International StudiesMonterey Peninsula CollegeMoorpark College Mount St Mary's CollegeMt San Antonio College Mt. San Jacinto CollegeMusicians InstituteNational UniversityNaval Postgraduate SchoolNewSchool of Architecture + DesignNorth Orange County Community College DistrictNotre Dame de Namur UniversityOccidental CollegeOhlone CollegeOrange Coast College Otis College of Art and DesignPacific Oaks CollegePacific Union CollegePalo Verde College Palomar CollegePasadena City CollegePepperdine UniversityPeralta CollegePierce CollegePitzer CollegePoint Loma Nazarene UniversityPomona CollegePorterville College Reedley College Rio Hondo College Riverside Community CollegeSacramento City College Saddleback CollegeSaint Mary's CollegeSamuel Merritt CollegeSan Diego City CollegeSan Diego Community College DistrictSan Diego Mesa College San Diego Miramar College San Diego StateSan Francisco State UniversitySan Joaquin Delta College San Jose City College San Jose State UniversitySan Jose-Evergreen Community College DistrictSanta Barbara City CollegeSanta Clara UniversitySanta Monica CollegeScripps CollegeScripps Research InstituteShasta CollegeSierra CollegeSimpson UniversitySkyline College Solano Community College Sonoma State UniversitySouth Orange County Community College DistrictSouthern California Institute of ArchitectureStanford UniversityState Center Community College DistrictTaft College The Art Institute of California-Los AngelesThe Art Institute of California-Orange CountyThe Art Institute of California-San DiegoThe Art Institute of California-San FranciscoThe Fashion Institute of Design & MerchandisingThe Master's College and SeminaryThe Wright InstituteUC BerkeleyUC DavisUC Hastings College of the LawUC IrvineUC MercedUC RiversideUC San DiegoUC San FranciscoUC Santa BarbaraUC Santa CruzUCLAUniversity of La VerneUniversity of RedlandsUniversity of San DiegoUniversity of San FranciscoUniversity of the PacificUSCVanguard University of Southern CaliforniaVentura CollegeVentura County Community College DistrictVictor Valley CollegeWest Hills Community College DistrictWest Hills Community College- CoalingaWest Hills Community College-LemooreWest Los Angeles College West Valley CollegeWestern University of Health SciencesWestmont CollegeWhittier CollegeWoodbury UniversityWoodland Community College World Mission UniversityYosemite Community College DistrictYuba College
- By State
- By City